Although interest rates are on the rise, it's still a great time to purchase a home. Speak with one of our expert loan officers today!

If I’m purchasing a property on a private road that is not maintained by the local municipality, do I need a Private Road Maintenance Agreement with my neighbors in order in order to qualify for a mortgage?

This question comes up most often when the property in question is located in a rural area. Believe it or not, it’s not rare for the lack of a Private Road Maintenance Agreement to halt or hinder a borrower from getting approved for a mortgage loan. Some mortgage lenders are far more stringent on their requirements than others. An agreement is required for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (conventional) and VA loans. It’s not required for an FHA loan, but you will be asked to provide a recorded loan easement. For USDA loans, requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Contact Us
Privacy Policy